Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ventilated enclosure in a chemistry laboratory, in which harmful volatile chemicals can be used or kept.
- ‘A ‘cut out’ under the fume cupboard to get my chair under, or the use of a portable fume cupboard, would be perfectly adequate for me to use.’
- ‘Half power is used to keep sufficient ventilation in the lab when the fume cupboard is not in use.’
- ‘Anyone who uses the chemical is advised to do so in a fume cupboard.’
- ‘The fume cupboards can accommodate up to eight service outlets for gas, air, water and vacuum - four on each side.’
- ‘There have also been several reports of old wooden fume cupboards exploding after the use of perchloric acid.’
- ‘Design and construction upgrade of the fume cupboard is expected to be completed by 30th June 2007.’
- ‘Whenever possible, the fume cupboard sash should be kept in the lowered position.’
- ‘We now have a modern science laboratory with all the facilities including a fume cupboard and a gas supply.’
- ‘The reaction was allowed to proceed for 30 min, after which the samples were dried in a fume cupboard for several hours.’
- ‘The acid fume chamber has a standard length of 1.86 metres, but it is possible to extend it to 6 metres.’
- ‘This is possible only where each fume cupboard is connected to an individual fan system.’
- ‘In many cases, good performance of the fume cupboard correlates with a uniform face velocity.’
- ‘The installer must test for compliance and produce a commissioning report before the fume cupboard is put into service.’
- ‘In the laboratory it is only safely handled inside a fume cupboard.’
- ‘The key attribute of a fume cupboard is its ability to provide good containment of hazardous materials.’
- ‘The lipids were extracted with petroleum ether for 7 h, after which the fish were left for 2 h in a fume cupboard for the petroleum ether to evaporate.’
- ‘The venting of offensive chemicals into the atmosphere via fume cupboards is no longer allowed.’
- ‘The eggs were exposed to ether vapor for 10 min and left in the fume cupboard for 30 min.’
- ‘Fixed fume cupboards are inspected annually on a contract to ensure that they meet compliance regulations.’
- ‘When the sash is in an open position, supply air enters the fume chamber through the sash opening.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.