One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ventilated enclosure in a chemistry laboratory, in which harmful volatile chemicals can be used or kept.
- ‘The installer must test for compliance and produce a commissioning report before the fume cupboard is put into service.’
- ‘There have also been several reports of old wooden fume cupboards exploding after the use of perchloric acid.’
- ‘Design and construction upgrade of the fume cupboard is expected to be completed by 30th June 2007.’
- ‘The venting of offensive chemicals into the atmosphere via fume cupboards is no longer allowed.’
- ‘A ‘cut out’ under the fume cupboard to get my chair under, or the use of a portable fume cupboard, would be perfectly adequate for me to use.’
- ‘In the laboratory it is only safely handled inside a fume cupboard.’
- ‘The acid fume chamber has a standard length of 1.86 metres, but it is possible to extend it to 6 metres.’
- ‘In many cases, good performance of the fume cupboard correlates with a uniform face velocity.’
- ‘Fixed fume cupboards are inspected annually on a contract to ensure that they meet compliance regulations.’
- ‘Whenever possible, the fume cupboard sash should be kept in the lowered position.’
- ‘The eggs were exposed to ether vapor for 10 min and left in the fume cupboard for 30 min.’
- ‘Half power is used to keep sufficient ventilation in the lab when the fume cupboard is not in use.’
- ‘The reaction was allowed to proceed for 30 min, after which the samples were dried in a fume cupboard for several hours.’
- ‘When the sash is in an open position, supply air enters the fume chamber through the sash opening.’
- ‘The fume cupboards can accommodate up to eight service outlets for gas, air, water and vacuum - four on each side.’
- ‘The key attribute of a fume cupboard is its ability to provide good containment of hazardous materials.’
- ‘This is possible only where each fume cupboard is connected to an individual fan system.’
- ‘The lipids were extracted with petroleum ether for 7 h, after which the fish were left for 2 h in a fume cupboard for the petroleum ether to evaporate.’
- ‘We now have a modern science laboratory with all the facilities including a fume cupboard and a gas supply.’
- ‘Anyone who uses the chemical is advised to do so in a fume cupboard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.