Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brother born of the same mother and father.
- ‘He is a full brother to stakes winner Medaille Militaire and a half brother to the stakes-winning hurdler Wahiba Sands.’
- ‘News from around the Thoroughbred world - A pair of full brothers finished a neck apart in first and second in the Michigan Breeders' Governor's Cup Handicap at Great Lakes Downs on Monday.’
- ‘She has two half brothers and one full brother, a year older, who works in an office.’
- ‘Factions tend to reflect the matrilineal heritage, with full brothers usually comprising the more powerful factions and incorporating half-brothers into their coalitions.’
- ‘She had no full brothers, although four sons were born to a concubine of her father, and they would all have been married to women whose surnames are not recorded.’
- ‘Stephen had two sisters whom he thought the world of, and I know he would have been delighted that Liam is to be raised with a full brother or sister - and that he is to be a father again.’
- ‘Plato had two full brothers, Glaucon and Adeimantus, to whom he allots parts in the Republic.’
- ‘There, despite the furious preparations, she was able to saddle her own mount, a full brother to the now-dead steed of Fergus her brother.’
- ‘The farm is also home to Barbaro's other full brother, a yearling recently named Nicanor.’
- ‘Me'n'Stell lived with our Mom and older brother, he was Stella's full brother and my half brother.’
- ‘Gerard Brickley will be defending his title from 2002 with a full brother of ‘Celtic Nobleman’ sired by ‘Carnkern Titan’.’
- ‘Two sons, not full brothers, and only one throne.’
- ‘Former suckler farmer of the year Richard Woodmartin, Woodville Farm, Sligo bought ‘Hillcrest Romeo’ a full brother to Rudolf for €3,050.’
- ‘The relative contribution of their performance depends on the relationship e.g. full brothers share half the genes and half brothers one quarter of the genes.’
- ‘A full brother to stakes winner Tereshkova and a half brother to stakes winners Akabir and Book Collector, Lycius has been well received at the world's bloodstock markets.’
- ‘Emperor Jones is a full brother to stakes winners Appointed One and Majlood and a half brother to champion Bakharoff and stakes winners Sum, Demonry, and Thyer.’
- ‘Prince Abdallha, without any full brothers, still has a solid power base within the country.’
- ‘A full brother also sold in their 2003 production sale for $11,000 and was one of their high seller.’
- ‘His full brother is in training with Corey Cushing, while he is in training with Steve Schwartzenberger.’
- ‘Since only one female breeds, all the new offspring are pretty much full brothers and sisters - i.e. they share half each others’ genes (on average), which is exactly the same as their own offspring would.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.