Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in certain team games) a player in a defensive position, playing at the side of the field in soccer and hockey and behind the other backs in rugby.
full back, back, sweeperView synonyms
- ‘Then, in an excellent defensive move, Blues fullback Adam Slade stopped another fast break from Baxter with a determined last-minute tackle.’
- ‘The fullbacks and wingers simply double up on Arsenal's two wingers, leaving the Central defenders one task, marking the two strikers.’
- ‘Orrell were without first choice fullbacks who were sent home before kick off after suffering a stomach ailment in the dressing room.’
- ‘Silsden retained a their 4-4 - 2 system which allowed fullbacks, Adam Reed and Michael Rhodes to attack down the wings.’
- ‘With a sleek line they were still able to score a single try and four penalties coming from fullback Tisel Jayawardena's toe.’
- ‘A replacement will however have to be found for fullback Ryan Horrman, on provincial duty, and wing Kevin Mattheus, who has an ankle injury.’
- ‘I've had the opportunity to see him in the flesh twice and his pace down the left (although stunted a little by injury a few years back) still has the knack of roasting opposing fullbacks.’
- ‘New signing Stuart Calvers made an impressive start and veteran fullback Martin Potts popped over his customary drop goal.’
- ‘Defense is all the team, it's not just midfielders, fullbacks and the goalkeeper.’
- ‘The fullback kicked six penalties, but missed four shots at goal as well as missing touch regularly and with ball in hand he never looked anything like the player of the past.’
- ‘Arnside gave away a penalty, but they gained a draw thanks to an own goal by Galgate fullback Kevin Voyle.’
- ‘Tight defending by fullbacks kept the tenacious Battyeford side at bay.’
- ‘Again Rankin failed with the easy conversion and Jed at last found some glimmer of hope when fullback Kevin Amos struck a fine penalty goal from 35 metres.’
- ‘This new kicking repertoire has seen fullbacks covering lots of ground in short amounts of time.’
- ‘One of the league's best blocking fullbacks and an improving runner, Christian missed the final two games in 1998 and all of the playoffs after tearing the ACL and MCL in the same knee.’
- ‘I still have to decide who the other fullbacks will be.’
- ‘For Brumbies, tries went to centre Gordon Ephriam and wing Wayne Pharo with fullback Rodney McDonald slotting three penalties.’
- ‘Tamatea High School halfback Sami Lauano cleared the ball well and had a high defensive workrate while fullback Kris Alexander was another to shine in the winning backline.’
- ‘The team plays a 4-4-2 system and the team strategy is to encourage and create space to allow the fullbacks to get forward.’
- ‘Chelsea's preseason has already demonstrated an interesting fluid style of play, utilizing the fullbacks as an attacking quantity, very similar to Bielsa's highly successful Argentinean side in the recent Copa’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.