Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A pufferfish that is eaten as a Japanese delicacy, after some highly poisonous parts have been removed.‘paper-thin slices of fugu’[as modifier] ‘all fugu chefs must pass a government test’
- ‘Chefs have to be specially certified in handling fugu, there are only a couple in Japan, and even one death gets that licence yanked.’
- ‘Approximately 20 minutes after eating the fugu, he had onset of dizziness and mild chest tightness.’
- ‘I know I've done similar things in the past (well, nothing on par with eating fugu, but you know what I mean), so I'll shut up about it.’
- ‘And not just any fish, mind you, but tasty ones, like flying fish, yellowtail and blowfish - the forbidden fugu - plus spiny, slimy things like ebi, abalone and crawfish.’
- ‘Comparisons of the genetic map of fugu with that of other teleosts revealed that, as expected, the synteny between the two pufferfishes, fugu and Tetraodon, is highly conserved.’
- ‘In fugu, only the rtn3-a1 transcript was found.’
- ‘Japanese prize puffer sashimi - fugu - though some diners die even after well-trained chefs trim the poisonous tissue.’
- ‘Even so, instances occur of Japanese dying from fugu poisoning, usually because someone without the necessary skill has attempted to prepare the fish.’
- ‘A sushi bar run by a true artist who makes his own plates and flies to Tokyo once a week in fugu season to bring back his fish.’
- ‘The fugu enjoys the rare though not necessarily enviable distinction of having the most lethal skin, intestines, livers and gonads in the world.’
- ‘Oddly, my nightmares weren't about fugu, they were about Todai, an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant.’
- ‘The apotheosis of the sushi chef's art is the preparation of the highly poisonous fugu fish.’
- ‘The toxin contained in the organs of fugu, or puffer fish, is said to be 1300 times deadlier than cyanide.’
- ‘Chefs must be specially trained and licensed to prepare fugu.’
- ‘Finally the fugu is set down in front of us to hushed anticipation.’
- ‘Analysis of fugu genomic sequences revealed the presence of five NgR-related genes.’
- ‘Most intriguingly, among the described symptoms of fugu poisoning is progressive limb paralysis while maintaining consciousness.’
- ‘Risks aside, fugu remains a highly sought after delicacy due to its subtle flavor and air of danger.’
- ‘Shimonoseki-city in Yamaguchi, is known as fugu city and supplies a large amount of fugu.’
- ‘The fugu is a famous fish, at least as a Japanese sushi dish containing a potentially lethal neurotoxin that was featured on an episode of The Simpsons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.