One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a room or atmosphere) warm, stuffy, or smoky.‘it was fuggy in the cabin’‘a fuggy pub’
stuffy, smoky, close, muggy, stale, fusty, unventilated, airless, suffocating, stifling, oppressiveView synonyms
- ‘I was glad we'd specified the latter, since the restaurant's smoking section, separated from the main dining area, was a little fuggy.’
- ‘It's very important to ventilate: open bedroom windows so it's not fuggy from the night before.’
- ‘The wood burning stove glowed red, it was all fuggy in the cabin.’
- ‘Tumbleweed blows through bars that 12 months ago would have been fuggy and packed.’
- ‘Perhaps the healthy option is to leave that fuggy pub, and go smoke a few fags in the fresh air.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.