One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Oil used as fuel in an engine or furnace.
- ‘First Choice was prepared to supply oil lubricant products on credit, but not gasoline or diesel fuel oil.’
- ‘Both diesel engines operate on No. 2 fuel oil, carried in two 200-gallon tanks.’
- ‘On 16 August 1945 it removed them from petrol, fuel oil, and processed foods, and by the end of the year very few remained.’
- ‘The common fuels burned in these appliances are natural or LP gas, fuel oil, kerosene, wood, or coal.’
- ‘Blades should be kept free of pitch with kerosene, fuel oil or mineral spirits.’
- ‘The car bomb was believed to be made of a potent mix of dynamite, ammonium nitrate and a petroleum product such as fuel oil, a US intelligence official said in Washington.’
- ‘Next, a drilling rig drills a series of holes in the face, and a mixture of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil is pneumatically placed into the holes.’
- ‘However, the firm sees increasing benefits in making overseas investments on fuel oil and other petroleum products.’
- ‘In addition to 3,140m3 of benzene, the vessel was carrying 105 tonnes of fuel oil and diesel.’
- ‘An oil slick was found in the Pacific Ocean off Kochi Prefecture on Sunday and the coast guard office in Kobe later concluded the oil is a mixture of fuel oil and engine lubricant.’
- ‘More than a dozen refineries were built in the Caribbean to export residual fuel oil and other products to the United States.’
- ‘These run their own refineries which are geared towards production of lighter products such as gas oil and petrol, rather than fuel oil.’
- ‘The refined products, to include gasoline, kerosene, diesel and fuel oil, are intended for Indonesian domestic consumption.’
- ‘Portable fan-forced air heaters come in models that operate on fuel oil, kerosene or propane gas.’
- ‘Common fuels used for this purpose are: electricity, propane, natural gas, kerosene, fuel oil, wood and wood pellets.’
- ‘The most likely methods are electrolysis or production from fossil fuels, such as natural gas or fuel oil.’
- ‘It also introduced a rationing program involving products such as tires, gasoline, fuel oil and sugar.’
- ‘Refiners were forced to market other oil products, such as fuel oil for powering ships.’
- ‘Just ask the lady who has to wash the sweat, fuel oil, lube oil, grease, grime, dirt and smells from my uniforms.’
- ‘Most US power plants are fueled by coal, fuel oil, and natural gas, the only fuels available in sufficient quantities to meet the demand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.