One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The direct introduction of fuel under pressure into the combustion units of an internal combustion engine.
- ‘Consider a bike with shaft drive, a 6-speed gearbox, Bosch fuel injection and moderate, ride-all-day ergonomics.’
- ‘It packs a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cyl engine with direct fuel injection and some 274 hp.’
- ‘The new engine employs a common-rail direct injection system with precision-controlled fuel injection pressure and injection timing along with a small high efficiency turbocharger.’
- ‘Engine efficiency is enhanced even further by an intercooler and direct fuel injection.’
- ‘The latter also features variable exhaust valve timing and sequential multi-port fuel injection, but does away with the combustion chamber trough in the center of the piston that helps stratify the air-fuel charge on the turbo engine.’
- ‘Rather, features like high pressure turbocharging and common rail fuel injection are imposing higher loads on all components, and especially the crankshaft and the combustion chamber.’
- ‘The latest engine would have 16 cylinders, multi-point fuel injection and 4 turbos, but it would be a side-valve design so you could use Model-T Ford parts on it.’
- ‘The diesel uses second-generation common rail diesel injection and incorporates computer-controlled fuel injection and high pressure directly into the combustion chamber.’
- ‘They had no fuel injection, no independent suspension, no air bags, no antilock brakes, no nothing!’
- ‘Mazda eventually plans to add direct fuel injection and turbocharging to the I - 4 lineup.’
- ‘Thanks to its CDI electronic fuel injection, even the usual diesel engine sound is muted.’
- ‘These new engines are also engineered for various technologies to be added as needed, such as displacement-on-demand and direct fuel injection.’
- ‘Electronic control of fuel injection also enables softening of the power pulses to smooth and quiet the engine, even at idle.’
- ‘To this point, electronics have been used in spot locations in vehicles for such things as fuel injection, antilock brakes and electronic clocks.’
- ‘In warm weather, engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition start easily enough to hide a worn-out battery.’
- ‘To this the students may add the options of turbocharger or supercharger, carburetor or fuel injection with electronic engine management.’
- ‘The MTU 6V 199 TE20 diesel engine is fitted with direct fuel injection, an exhaust gas turbocharger, liquid cooling and electronic engine management system.’
- ‘Our direct fuel injection can be flexibly adapted to meet the varying requirements of engine builders.’
- ‘The excellent International-developed hydraulic-assist direct fuel injection generates as much as 26,000 psi pressure at the injector.’
- ‘The turbocharged 6-cylinder powerplant will feature full electronic fuel injection, considered technically impossible on a diesel until only a few years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.