Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A large, deep container for frying food.
- ‘She kept her cool, even remembering to turn off the oven and deep fat fryer.’
- ‘There have been many foods that we have put into a deep fryer: Twinkies, Snickers bars, Oreos, pickles, even cheesecake.’
- ‘An unusual feature is the electric hob which incorporates a barbecue grill and deep fat fryer as well as two electric plates.’
- ‘The second was filled with an ill-smelling haze from the deep fat friers in the back kitchen.’
- ‘Another rebelled in a healthy eating household and bought a deep fat fryer.’
- ‘For the asparagus tempura roll: In a deep fryer or tall sided pot, combine vegetable and sesame oils and heat to 350 degrees.’
- ‘Place the ring molds in the fryer until golden brown, about one minute.’
- ‘Even the waste fat from fast-food deep fryers can he used, and the conversion process is simple enough that some enthusiasts make it in their own kitchens.’
- ‘The fitted kitchen cum breakfast room has a Belfast sink, double oven, kitchen island with electric and gas double hobs, deep fat fryer and a wine rack.’
- ‘For the plantain crust: Preheat the deep fryer to 325 degrees.’
- ‘Come closer, and note the absence of any conventional stovetops, closed ovens, deep fryers, or steam table.’
- ‘Homeowners often make mistakes when using a turkey fryer.’
- ‘Included in the sale are a built-in hob, oven and deep fat fryer along with a washing machine and dishwasher.’
- ‘There is also a number of integrated Miele appliances, including a gas and electric hob, deep fat fryer, oven, microwave and fridge-freezer.’
- ‘Raffle prizes ranged from bottles of wine to televisions and deep fat fryers.’
- ‘Well, the industry has added a lot of warnings to these turkey fryers.’
- ‘One reported burn incident occurred when partially frozen chicken wings were added to hot oil in a turkey fryer.’
- ‘The no-frills atmosphere and the constant sizzle of the deep fryer add an air of authenticity, even if take-out orders aren't wrapped in newspaper anymore.’
- ‘This mandate led to the elimination of deep fat fryers, and the provision of two daily meal choices (served with salad) that would appeal to teenagers.’
- ‘You can get deep fat fryers nowadays from about £20 upwards.’
2North American A small young chicken suitable for frying.
- ‘Into the locker went butchered chickens - you butchered them when they had become fryers, though some were permitted to reach the roaster or stewing stage.’
- ‘When I shop for chicken, I don't buy anything other than whole fryers because I know how marked up the parts are.’
- ‘Of course, young chickens (also called broilers and fryers; under 6 lb. and about seven weeks old) can be roasted.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.