Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A large, deep container for frying food.
- ‘There is also a number of integrated Miele appliances, including a gas and electric hob, deep fat fryer, oven, microwave and fridge-freezer.’
- ‘The second was filled with an ill-smelling haze from the deep fat friers in the back kitchen.’
- ‘You can get deep fat fryers nowadays from about £20 upwards.’
- ‘Place the ring molds in the fryer until golden brown, about one minute.’
- ‘Included in the sale are a built-in hob, oven and deep fat fryer along with a washing machine and dishwasher.’
- ‘An unusual feature is the electric hob which incorporates a barbecue grill and deep fat fryer as well as two electric plates.’
- ‘Another rebelled in a healthy eating household and bought a deep fat fryer.’
- ‘Even the waste fat from fast-food deep fryers can he used, and the conversion process is simple enough that some enthusiasts make it in their own kitchens.’
- ‘Homeowners often make mistakes when using a turkey fryer.’
- ‘One reported burn incident occurred when partially frozen chicken wings were added to hot oil in a turkey fryer.’
- ‘She kept her cool, even remembering to turn off the oven and deep fat fryer.’
- ‘For the asparagus tempura roll: In a deep fryer or tall sided pot, combine vegetable and sesame oils and heat to 350 degrees.’
- ‘This mandate led to the elimination of deep fat fryers, and the provision of two daily meal choices (served with salad) that would appeal to teenagers.’
- ‘The no-frills atmosphere and the constant sizzle of the deep fryer add an air of authenticity, even if take-out orders aren't wrapped in newspaper anymore.’
- ‘The fitted kitchen cum breakfast room has a Belfast sink, double oven, kitchen island with electric and gas double hobs, deep fat fryer and a wine rack.’
- ‘Well, the industry has added a lot of warnings to these turkey fryers.’
- ‘There have been many foods that we have put into a deep fryer: Twinkies, Snickers bars, Oreos, pickles, even cheesecake.’
- ‘Raffle prizes ranged from bottles of wine to televisions and deep fat fryers.’
- ‘For the plantain crust: Preheat the deep fryer to 325 degrees.’
- ‘Come closer, and note the absence of any conventional stovetops, closed ovens, deep fryers, or steam table.’
2North American A small young chicken suitable for frying.
- ‘Into the locker went butchered chickens - you butchered them when they had become fryers, though some were permitted to reach the roaster or stewing stage.’
- ‘Of course, young chickens (also called broilers and fryers; under 6 lb. and about seven weeks old) can be roasted.’
- ‘When I shop for chicken, I don't buy anything other than whole fryers because I know how marked up the parts are.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.