One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An immature or small fruit.
- ‘Recently, apple fruitlets were also shown to be a rich source, and the kinins have been extracted from this tissue and concentrated.’
- ‘Thinning of fruitlets by hand is often impossible due to labour cost and availability.’
- ‘In other years with an early bloom date, many fruitlets reach 1-inch diameters by early May.’
- ‘If the first fruitlet is taken from the north side of a tree, choose the next fruitlet from the east, then south and so on.’
- ‘As the number of king blossoms decreases, so will the average diameter of the fruitlet decrease.’
- ‘Do not worry about fruitlet size so much as applying the thinning spray when weather conditions are good, as discussed above.’
- ‘Sawflies infest fruitlets and cause these to drop prematurely after which the pests pupate in the topsoil.’
- ‘Apple scab over-winters on fallen leaves, codling moth caterpillars live in fallen apples and pear midge grubs live in fallen fruitlets.’
- ‘Each of these fruitlets in turn is ‘protected’ by little white sepals.’
- ‘Eggs hatch by full bloom and nymphs feed on developing fruitlets though the petal fall period.’
- ‘The cells that will become next year's fruit buds are beginning to form when you can see this year's fruitlets, which are baby apples just starting to form.’
- ‘She said their early apricot varieties were already forming fruitlets and the bees were ‘flat out’ on the later-blossoming varieties.’
- 1.1Botany another term for drupel
- ‘Pedicel CSA in fruitlets destined to abscind declined once symptoms of pending abscission became apparent.’
- ‘This is a composite fruit formed of 100-200 berry-like fruitlets fused together, giving its outside a tessellated appearance.’
- ‘Although a higher proportion of fruitlets were thinned from the low-vigour vines after anthesis (data not shown), these vines still carried higher crop loads relative to total leaf area.’
- ‘Recently, it has been shown that young Citrus fruitlets are able to synthesize ethylene in a manner that resembles the system II pathway of the climacteric fruits.’
- ‘The larvae are yellow-white in colour, up to 4mm long and found in cavities within distorted fruitlets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.