Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The spore-producing organ of a fungus, often seen as a toadstool.
- ‘In reality, a truffle is the fruiting body of a fungus which grows wholly underground.’
- ‘At the maturity of the Cordyceps fungi, fruiting bodies of a spectacular shape grow out of the host insect.’
- ‘Mature fruiting bodies of Hemitrichia serpula, Trichia botrytis, and Trichia favoginea were documented by field collections in the tree canopy.’
- ‘Cursory scanning of fresh cultures was conducted for each plate to check for existing myxomycete fruiting bodies.’
- ‘One final consideration is that the known fruiting bodies of marine fungi are not as geometrically complex as the Mistaken Point taxa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.