Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who eats only fruit.‘I have been a fruitarian for three years’[as modifier] ‘the prehistoric fruitarian diet’
- ‘This is why it is very important for fruitarians to include a mineral source - vegetables of some kind - in their diet.’
- ‘Because fruitarian diets provide fewer calories and protein than vegetarian diets, they are not suitable for teens.’
- ‘They typically mix in some grains and nuts with their fruitarian diet and they may include tomatoes and avocados which are, in fact fruits.’
- ‘Most fruitarians look at life from a holistic approach for both their health and their diet.’
- ‘Since this site was launched in April 1996, we have welcomed many thousands of visitors, and fruitarian websites have multiplied.’
- ‘Pescans and fruitarians are at the opposite ends of the vegetarian lifestyle.’
- ‘But the fruitarians might have a word to say about that, as they eat only fruit in their quest for health and happiness.’
- ‘A typical advertisement will often say ‘all meals are meat meals’ or ‘vegetarians welcome’, although we did find one that said, ‘no fruitarians please!’’
- ‘I remained vegan for about 24 years during which time I met fruitarian and fruitarian influenced people.’
- ‘There's lacto-ovo, lacto, ovo, vegan, macrobiotic, raw foodists and fruitarians.’
- ‘Others are more radical, like ‘fruitarians’ (who consider it theft to drink milk, torture to cut leaves from plants, and murder to eat animals) or those who collect and compost ‘humanure’ (human manure).’
- ‘On fruitarian diets, it is very easy to overeat and to fall into the nasty trap of sugar addiction.’
- ‘Before we begin with the ‘recipes’ you should know what fruitarians consider to be fruits.’
- ‘A minority of fruitarians only eat fruit in the culinary sense.’
- ‘Some components of the vegan and fruitarian diets are frequent causes of allergies, but allergy caused by pork or chicken meat is rarely if ever encountered.’
- ‘I recently read somewhere that many fruitarians actually get addicted to all the sugar in fruit.’
- ‘Some fruitarians only eat the fruit of a plant so that the plant does not have to be killed.’
- ‘All are vegetarians, many are vegans and some, including Ella, are fruitarians, living off a diet of nothing but fruit.’
- ‘Omnivorous, carnivorous, vegan, lacto-ovo and fruitarian are the main diet types based on eating style.’
- ‘It is important for a fruitarian to take a vitamin-supplement containing vitamin B12.’
Late 19th century: from fruit, on the pattern of vegetarian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.