Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for fructose
- ‘Agave nectar is a fruit sugar, which absorbs more slowly into the bloodstream and is suitable for diabetics, since it's much lower on the glycemic index.’
- ‘If you have a sweet tooth, you'll appreciate that almost all of our foods contain fructose, a natural fruit sugar that burns slowly in your body to provide long-lasting energy, unlike ordinary table sugar.’
- ‘Health visitors from all over the country pleaded for clearer labelling - sodium should be labelled as salt, fructose as fruit sugar for example.’
- ‘Fructooligosaccharide is a fruit sugar and is often used as a prebiotic in the treatment of Candida.’
2Canadian A very fine type of granulated sugar suitable for sprinkling on fruit.
- ‘The crystal size of Bakers Special is even finer than that of fruit sugar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.