One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American Icing.
glaze, sugar pasteView synonyms
- ‘I like to buy different colored frosting in tubes that come with the different tips ready to attach and frost.’
- ‘No, one year there was a pound cake with no frosting and one big candle in the middle.’
- ‘The brownie was thick, and covered in chocolate frosting.’
- ‘Cakes are purchased from local supermarkets whose ideas of frosting include two primary ingredients… sugar and vegetable shortening.’
- ‘We covered it in frosting and sprinkles and they ate it anyway.’
- ‘I look up and see Christina, crying loudly, covered in frosting and punch.’
- ‘When the cake was done, it was decorated with white frosting drizzled down the sides.’
- ‘"Thanks, " I said, licking some frosting from my finger.’
- ‘The creamy caramel frosting wonderfully caps off these tender spicy cupcakes.’
- ‘He grinned and held up his fingers, which were covered in chocolate cake frosting.’
- ‘For the frosting, place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.’
- ‘And that's not including the fact that I am carrying a really nice chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.’
- ‘I don't like frosting unless it's the kind that is like pudding.’
- ‘I lick the frosting off, waiting for him to speak.’
- ‘She iced it with a boiled caramel frosting - nothing ever tasted so good.’
- ‘It was a chocolate cake with white frosting and candied cherries on top.’
- ‘Cookies that have been frosted with a butter cream type frosting cannot be stacked.’
- ‘We scraped our plates; we licked our fingers; and we sliced apple cake and spooned on extra frosting.’
- ‘Remove cookies from oven, and cool completely before decorating with colored frosting (recipe below).’
- ‘The following morning, I added chocolate frosting and slapped aluminum foil on top.’
2A roughened matt finish on otherwise shiny material such as glass or steel.
- ‘Naughty boys Ferdinand and Steve took it upon themselves to strip the frosting off the shower door - something which proved to be the highlight of yesterday's Big Brother action.’
- ‘Using the stencil with frosting varnish for glass at £7.95, the varnish can be tinted to create your own stained glass effect.’
- ‘A sweeping, swirl of baby ostrich down, rather like piped icing on an art nouveau birthday cake, contrasted the material's shine with soft, matt frosting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.