Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a layer of frost on the surface:‘the frost-covered ground’‘frost-covered windows’
greyish-white, grey, white, silver, silveryView synonyms
- ‘Conditions on the planet Mars are dynamic, with frequent changes in atmospheric conditions, changing seasons, frequent dust storms, and frost-covered polar caps.’
- ‘I began to learn a lot of new things: how to chip ice out of buckets and troughs, how many pairs of socks need to be worn under rubber boots so you can walk through deep frost-covered mud without your feet turning blue.’
- ‘A horse-drawn ladder truck lost control on the slick, frost-covered street.’
- ‘This morning, to my delight, we woke up to a frost-covered world, all white and sparkly and delicately pretty.’
- ‘Outside the frost-covered window, while the soundtrack croons "The Christmas Song," he sees the sister he didn't know he had.’
- ‘Once I remembered the route, it was wonderful driving through the frost-covered countryside to work.’
- ‘Mr Bennet recognized his second daughter under the layers of wool that were approaching him over the frost-covered lawn.’
- ‘Two men were approaching, moving rapidly across the dark, frost-covered field.’
- ‘Readers can marvel at cedar groves, frozen ponds, frost-covered flowers, wolves, the Lake Superior shoreline, and the aurora borealis.’
- ‘The cards, which have no message inside, feature a photograph of the tower standing on a frost-covered mound.’
- ‘The door would burst open and a blast of snow would blow in a frost-covered climber, crampons on his feet, an ice ax in each hand, beard crusted white.’
- ‘In an unforgettable image, the Director and crew film the actress, battered by the wind, through frost-covered glass.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.