Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a manoeuvre in surfing and other board sports which is done anticlockwise for a regular rider and clockwise for a goofy rider.
- ‘Ever wondered how to do a backside nosegrind or a frontside flip over a hip?’
- ‘Scott skated good, Roz busted out some huge frontside grabs, Arthur landed some nice frontside flips.’
- ‘I mean, I'm good and all I can do is frontside grinds and sweepers.’
- ‘The pros have just been eating this place up, from Daewon's blunts on the gnarwall to Bennett Harada's frontside ollies off the bowl hip.’
- ‘Taking off backside isn't much different than frontside except that now your weight is centered low towards the inner edge on the middle of the board.’
- ‘Ethan was seen popping frontside ollies and Marty was doing stylish frontside rocks with goggles on.’
- ‘His streak continued that night at the Pala pool where he doled out a clean frontside rock, while Chalmers and Luke polished off most of the rest of the moves.’
- ‘I carve a nice frontside turn up on the roll-in area of the ditch.’
- ‘He did some pretty sweet frontside kickflip lipslides for eighth.’
- ‘I was taking a run down the line in the pipe and tell backwards off the wall taking a frontside turn.’
- ‘Watching Chris Miller effortlessly dismantling the two bowls with the fattest frontside airs over the hip was tight.’
- ‘Now that I've caught the board, I swing it back in a frontside kickturn.’
- ‘It's either a frontside air, or an indy air (which is grabbing like a frontside air but going backside).’
- ‘They had a high-air contest and I can go higher frontside than backside.’
- ‘Johnny almost lost his marbles going for the frontside double flip while Ethan dished out the tail block fakie, bastard plant and the hazard.’
- ‘Increasing the frontside bus to get extra CPU speed meant faster PCI slots, thus faster video cards.’
- ‘There was a dude with dreads that was smoking some wacky, and just rolled straight in and came up the other side and pulled a frontside handplant like it was nothing.’
- ‘Rune blasted some of the biggest frontside airs I have ever seen and backside flip lipslides like he was born doing them.’
- ‘Or is one new life-change not enough for the master of the frontside flip?’
- ‘He simply does what he called you to shoot for, such as this padless frontside invert at his board sponsor's training facility.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.