Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A building where pelota or jai alai is played.
- ‘He's retired now, a bookie at the fronton in Mexico City, and he's the happiest person there.’
- ‘Voters will have the opportunity to approve a constitutional amendment that could pave the way for slot machines at three horse racetracks, two dog tracks, and two jai-alai frontons in the state.’
- ‘There are also frontons in Mexico City, Acapulco, and Tijuana.’
- ‘Broward County commissioners are scheduled to decide on Tuesday whether to conduct a special election in March for a referendum on allowing slot machines at racetracks and jai-lai frontons.’
- ‘We passed what looked like three-sided open-air squash courts - frontons, Fernando said, built by Basque settlers who wanted to play pelota in their new home.’
- ‘This could lead to an oversaturated market, as two of the largest casinos in North America are just a short drive away in Connecticut, and Rhode Island greyhound tracks and jai alai frontons have slots.’
- ‘Every day, there are greater numbers of American players, throughout the frontons of this country.’
- ‘This leaves in question the future of a fronton that once was far west of town and is now being surrounded by residential and commercial projects.’
- ‘Dania Jai-Alai opened over 50 years ago as the second jai-alai fronton in the United States.’
- ‘The other two pari-mutuel facilities in Broward County are Hollywood Greyhound Track and Dania Jai Alai fronton.’
- ‘Texas Jai-alai will have a capacity of 12,000 spectators and its court will have dimensions that comply with that of the traditional frontons of Cesta Punta.’
- ‘Tijuana seems to be a stepping-stone to more lucrative frontons in the United States.’
- ‘In the United States, only two frontons remain open full time: Miami and Dania Beach.’
- ‘Voters in rural Hamilton County, Florida, on the Georgia border, approved a measure on Tuesday that will allow pari-mutuel wagering at a jai alai fronton and off-track betting facility in Jasper that will open within two years.’
- ‘The sale of the Ocala Jai-Alai fronton and off-track wagering facility to a subsidiary of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. was completed on Wednesday.’
- ‘The company had one fronton in Connecticut, four in Florida.’
- ‘Jim Horne, Florida's education commissioner, publicly supports a ballot initiative that could eventually lead to expanded gaming at seven of South Florida's racetracks and jai-alai frontons.’
- ‘The ruling will have virtually no effect since lawmakers have already repealed the law and the sales company now owns the Ocala Jai-Alai fronton, whose previous owners, World Jai-Alai, originally filed the suit.’
- ‘The awarded dates resulted in actual conflicting performances at the Bridgeport and Hartford frontons on 92 dates.’
- ‘The referendum asked state voters to decide whether Miami-Dade and Broward counties could conduct a separate local referendum for approval to install slot machines at horse tracks and dog tracks and jai-alai frontons in those counties.’
2another term for pediment
- ‘Each of these frontons is again distinguished by bordering ornamental turrets on its either flanks, which are carried beyond the parapets.’
- ‘Far from being inert, it takes in that which is found below and carries it skywards, serving as a base for other diminishing frontons that are set at the projection of the upper tiers.’
- ‘At the library left of the central shrine the frontons are especially noteworthy.’
- ‘One should particularly note the large frontons on the porticoes, which have had to be supported by a reinforced concrete frame.’
Late 17th century: from French, from Italian frontone, from fronte forehead, from Latin frons, front- front, forehead.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.