One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural The forwards who make up the first row in a scrum.
- ‘The resultant changes to the French front row saw the next scrum become a horrible mis-match.’
- ‘The front rows of Buffaloes and Queenstown Swifts size up each other in a Strand Cup semi-final played in East London on Saturday.’
- ‘With the ref having just warned the front rows to scrummage properly, England promptly ignored him and Flatley was given the chance to square the match.’
- ‘Physically, he looks as if he wouldn't be out of place in the front row of a rugby scrum.’
- ‘The early pressure was only eased when the front row again conceded a penalty at the set scrum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.