One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural The forwards who make up the first row in a scrum.
- ‘The resultant changes to the French front row saw the next scrum become a horrible mis-match.’
- ‘The front rows of Buffaloes and Queenstown Swifts size up each other in a Strand Cup semi-final played in East London on Saturday.’
- ‘The early pressure was only eased when the front row again conceded a penalty at the set scrum.’
- ‘Physically, he looks as if he wouldn't be out of place in the front row of a rugby scrum.’
- ‘With the ref having just warned the front rows to scrummage properly, England promptly ignored him and Flatley was given the chance to square the match.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.