One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The pages, such as the title page and preface, that precede the main text of a book.
- ‘Ware's other comic genius is mimicry - also one of my favourite forms of humour (every 4-point sentence in the front matter of Quimby the Mouse is a side-splitter).’
- ‘Within the front matter, the authors of the Million Word Crossword Dictionary promise to consider all suggestions for new words and clues, for future editions.’
- ‘Generally, the first element of the front matter is the title page.’
- ‘It just arrived in the mail today and I don't know anything about it but what I just read on the dust jacket and skimming through the front matter.’
- ‘Many of Gardiner's stories had already appeared in magazines, including The New Yorker, but I could find no reference in the front matter of Trevor's book indicating that any of these tales had appeared elsewhere first.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.