One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A political rebel.
nihilist, insurgent, agitator, subversive, guerrilla, terrorist, bioterrorist, narcoterrorist, ecoterrorist, cyberterrorist, agroterrorist, freedom fighter, resistance fighter, rebel, revolutionary, revolutionist, bolshevik, mutineerView synonyms
- ‘Out of patience with the mid-90s rightwing frondeurs, he was a loyal government member who got on with his job.’
- ‘He is doing very well and all the frondeurs are shivering in their shoes.’
- ‘The early frondeurs used slings to shoot stones through the windows of government supporters.’
- ‘These were the ‘philosophical circle’ and the ‘political circle,’ amicably decried by each other as ‘German sentimentalists’ and ‘French frondeurs.’’
- ‘His decision horrified former frondeurs like Jean Le Boindre, who wrote that as ‘the French had changed their laws and their monarchy, they might as well change their name’.’
French, literally ‘slinger’, used to denote a rebel taking part in the Fronde.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.