One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Green foliage; greenery.
foliage, vegetation, plants, green, leaves, leafage, undergrowth, plant life, floraView synonyms
- ‘Plants exhibit as much diversity in the warmth and length of time necessary to mature their fruit as in their frondescence and flowering.’
- ‘They continued their journey under the frondescence of the mountain forests.’
- ‘Gregor listened to Nature's breath whispering through the frondescence and to his own breath entering and leaving his body.’
- ‘The oak and beech have as yet hardly any appearance of frondescence.’
- ‘This sudden lush frondescence was springing up at the rate of an inch a day at least.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin frondescentia, from Latin frondescere frequentative of frondere ‘send out leaves’, from frons, frond- ‘leaf’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.