One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of smooth soft fresh cheese, with the consistency of thick yogurt.
- ‘Consumer watchdogs found fromage frais and other milk products for sale after their sell-by date in a York area village store, magistrates heard.’
- ‘Whisk cream or fromage frais in peaks and fold into mixture.’
- ‘Serve with 1 tbsp low-fat fromage frais and eat with a slice of toasted rye bread.’
- ‘If you are watching your weight, you could use fromage frais or low-fat thick yoghurt instead of cream.’
- ‘Cream, chilled desserts and cheese should experience the weakest growth over the 2002-07 period, due largely to consumer trends towards healthier, more functional dairy products such as yogurt and fromage frais.’
- ‘I wheeled out my failsafe conversational gambit which is to ask Mel to take me through the difference between creme fraiche, fromage frais and sour cream.’
- ‘Le Petit Suisse is not yogurt, but a very rich little pot of fresh, sweet fromage frais.’
- ‘Beat together the lemon curd, mascarpone and fromage frais until smooth.’
- ‘While the mushrooms are sautéeing, make the dressing by mixing the fromage frais with the vinegar and mustard, and seasoning with salt and pepper.’
- ‘Dessert was a choice of apple pie or stewed apple with fromage frais and ice cream.’
- ‘We've managed to get him to drink a some home-made apple juice and a small amount of milk and the sum total of solid food today extended to half a fromage frais and half a jar of chocolate pudding.’
- ‘The plain variety of fromage frais is very versatile and can be used in dips, sauces, as a topping for baked potatoes and desserts or as an ingredient in cheesecakes and desserts.’
- ‘He took the traditional French idea of serving fromage frais with salt, pepper and a bowl of herbs, allowing each diner to season his or her own cheese, and turned it into a marketable, packaged product.’
- ‘Yoghurts and fromage frais are often very popular, but avoid those high in sugar.’
- ‘There was some fromage frais, some juice, and a bread roll, none of which Alex was terribly happy about eating.’
- ‘Next we shared a bresaola salad with beets, fromage frais and hazelnuts.’
- ‘Allow to cool, then just whisk into the fromage frais and continue as for the main recipe.’
- ‘All the usual cereals are flanked by an extraordinary array of dried fruits, nuts and seeds (macadamia, pumpkin, pine kernels), a wonderful wet Bircher muesli with zingy grated apple or big bowls of Greek yogurt and fromage frais.’
- ‘What is the difference between the following and can any of them replace another: crème fraîche, fromage frais, fromage blanc, yogurt, sour cream, cream, double cream, whipping cream?’
French, literally ‘fresh cheese’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.