One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of soft French cheese made from cow's milk and having a creamy sour taste.
- ‘Chefs at the fancy French spas have elevated the use of fromage blanc to an art form, since it is low in calories and high in creamy flavor.’
- ‘Add 2 or 3 tablespoonfuls of fromage blanc into a glass bowl, a spoonful of apricot jam over this and then sprinkle the grilled almonds over it.’
- ‘It took but a minute to confirm that Guerard had indeed added fromage blanc to his scrambled eggs before returning them to their shells and dabbing them with caviar.’
- ‘There are countless recipes for tarts made from fromage blanc.’
- ‘I did enjoy the fromage blanc with a dollop of Nutella but we all flipped for the little croissants which when split open, oozed out a serious amount of gooey Nutella inside.’
- ‘Plain or flavored yogurt, quark, cottage cheese, beaten mascarpone or ricotta could be substituted for the fromage blanc.’
- ‘Fold fromage blanc into egg white mixture and spread over cooled pumpkin pie.’
- ‘Pour the fromage blanc in a bowl, add the chopped shallot and parsley, the oil and vinegar, and a little salt, pepper and piment.’
- ‘A triumph of modern French cuisine, the short but sassy menu features lobster and smoked haddock soufflé, Dover sole with smoked eel, mackerel and pomme purée and crème of fromage blanc, peanut sable and ice cream for desert.’
- ‘Crush them lightly with a fork till they bleed purple juice, then spoon over some of the fromage blanc.’
- ‘In a medium mixing-bowl, whisk together the fromage blanc and sugar.’
- ‘I haven't had fromage blanc (with the appropriate sprinkling of sugar) since I was in France 7 years ago, it's one of my favourite food memories from there.’
- ‘In a blender combine the yogurt, sour cream, fromage blanc, lemon juice, and lime juice with the sugar and water.’
- ‘It's filled with what seems to be drained fromage blanc, all on an intensely green watercress coulis.’
- ‘Spoon the strawberries and their juices around the fromage blanc, garnish with mint leaves and serve immediately.’
- ‘Meanwhile, toast 6 slices of baguette and smear with fromage blanc.’
- ‘Given its richness, it was counterpointed not by something sweeter and even richer (as is the current Scottish inclination) but by a tart, sherbety sorbet of fromage blanc.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine chopped mushrooms, flour, milk, fromage blanc, eggs and porcini flour.’
- ‘I think the texture would probably be fine, but I have the feeling I would need to add more powdered sugar than with something thicker like fromage blanc or ricotta.’
- ‘Put two halves on each plate with a dollop of fromage blanc in the cavity of each pear half.’
French, literally ‘white cheese’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.