Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
All over.‘she seemed to glow from top to toe’
- ‘Having chosen your oil, you are laid out over a series of hot stones, massaged from top to toe, and back again.’
- ‘We were absolutely filthy and covered from top to toe with red dust.’
- ‘Three days later, Thorn was bruised from top to toe.’
- ‘The Russian doctors really put me through the mill, examining me from top to toe.’
- ‘So, kitted out from top to toe in newly acquired and neatly pressed blue linen, I listened to her praise western civilization and the red-brick building that housed its published works.’
- ‘Dressed in black from top to toe, he felt his age in the end, though, and literally ran out of puff.’
- ‘This involved sitting in a heated seawater bath while jets massaged her body from top to toe.’
- ‘You leave feeling as if every part of your body has been pampered - you're invigorated from top to toe.’
- ‘In fact, feet are just one of the problem areas we'll be looking at in detail, providing help and advice with a health and beauty regime that will work for you, from top to toe.’
- ‘Michael's gaze seemed desperate as he stood trembling from top to toe.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.