One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Completely; thoroughly.‘we searched the place from top to bottom’
thoroughly, fully, to the fullest extent, extensively, completely, comprehensively, rigorously, exhaustively, scrupulously, meticulously, conscientiously, minutely, in close detailView synonyms
- ‘The report says that the fire service needs to be changed from top to bottom and every aspect of its work needs to be reformed.’
- ‘She cooks the family meal, cleans the house from top to bottom and completes her homework the day she receives it.’
- ‘If I do end up getting it, before I move in I'm hiring people to go in and scrub the place top to bottom.’
- ‘The police cordoned off the area, declared a curfew, and searched the place from top to bottom.’
- ‘When visitors were expected, she aired the beds and cleaned the house from top to bottom, and she wrote lists.’
- ‘The Government boldly decided to reform the system from top to bottom.’
- ‘He now says he wants to review the Department from top to bottom and propose a complete overhaul.’
- ‘According to some of the conspiracy theorists, the whole sport will soon be exposed as corrupt from top to bottom.’
- ‘One worker said that staff have been cleaning the department from top to bottom.’
- ‘Cronyism is rampant from top to bottom in British public life.’
- ‘It needs an overhaul from top to bottom and it won't be a quick fix.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.