Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A jumping, plant-sucking bug, the larva of which produces cuckoo spit.Also called spittlebug
- ‘Keep an eye out for cuckoo spit, a globule of froth that conceals the tiny froghopper, easily squashed between thumb and finger.’
- ‘The fungus has been successfully used for froghopper, grasshoppers and other pests of agricultural importance.’
- ‘Spittlebugs, or froghoppers, are easily identified by the frothy, white foam that protects them from predators.’
- ‘The tiny spittlebug, or froghopper, leaped into the scientific spotlight in a July 2003 issue of the journal Nature.’
- ‘Philaenus spumarius, commonly known as a froghopper or spittle bug, is a mere 0.2 inches long, but employs a novel catapult mechanism to launch itself upwards of 28 inches into the air.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.