Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An anglerfish that typically lives on the seabed, where its warty skin and colour provide camouflage.
- ‘One was not a pufferfish but a frogfish that had swallowed some prey so large it was having difficulty using its silly, paddle-like pectoral fins.’
- ‘Photo time with the frogfishes was short-lived as I was disrupted by the cricket-chirping signal from our divemaster.’
- ‘On an exploratory dive from East Point to Cleaning Station we came across a green frogfish early in the dive, leaving me nearly an hour to bond with this bulbous specimen.’
- ‘Like frogfishes, these grotesque-looking fishes are anglers that use a modified dorsal spine extending just above the mouth to lure prey.’
- ‘The frogfish uses its stalked pectoral fins and its pelvic fins to slowly ‘walk’ across the bottom.’
- ‘Almost unable to swim, frogfishes are a wonderful example of aggressive camouflage.’
- ‘Dive legend, operations manager and PADI instructor Larry Smith has discovered innumerable species of wasp fishes, scorpion fishes, pygmy seahorses, nudi-branch, frogfishes and countless more.’
- ‘Apart from soft coral reefs, sea fans and frogfishes, one will see large sea creatures like sharks and turtles.’
- ‘Their big attractions are frogfish, ghost pipefish and a shoal of batfish.’
- ‘Pleased with that, I was ready to move on when I realised that my guide was looking puzzled, and pointing back in the direction of the frogfish.’
- ‘When a fish is within striking distance, the frogfish jumps forward, opening its large mouth and engulfing its prey.’
- ‘So it's possible for a dark brown frogfish with a hairy body to be the very same species as a white frogfish with almost smooth skin.’
- ‘Painted frogfish vary greatly in colour and texture, and these ones were covered in sediment.’
- ‘Frogfishes are a family of fishes that look like misshapen toads - hence the name frogfishes.’
- ‘In frogfish, the first dorsal spine is modified into a movable fishing lure.’
- ‘How many harbours play host to everything from seahorses and frogfish to whales and dolphins?’
- ‘Not a great deal is known about the reproduction of frogfish and in the wild it is a very rare sight to witness.’
- ‘The frogfish settled on the bottom and crawled around on its two froglike webbed paws.’
- ‘The frogfishes have developed significant jaw protrusion.’
- ‘The color of frogfishes is extremely variable; they generally match their surroundings very well.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.