One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Italian dish made with fried beaten eggs, resembling a Spanish omelette.
- ‘In addition to the frittata, I'll have about 16 ounces of flank steak or 90% lean ground beef.’
- ‘Return the frittata to the pan with the topside down.’
- ‘He ordered a vegetable frittata - a pie-like omelette with veggies embedded - while I had pastrami and cheese sandwich.’
- ‘Don't be tempted to turn the heat up too much, as this will burn the bottom of the frittata.’
- ‘Scatter the frittata with the remaining cheese, place the pan under the grill and cook for a further couple of minutes until the eggs are just firm.’
- ‘A legacy from Italian colonial days is the frittata, made by scrambling eggs with onion and peppers.’
- ‘It's sort of like a frittata or a quiche, although neither of those do justice to the wonderfully distinctive, almost tangy, taste.’
- ‘This is a quick and easy, no-nonsense recipe that makes a terrific frittata in hardly any time at all.’
- ‘For speed and efficiency, bake the frittata in the same skillet you use to cook the filling.’
- ‘Periodically check the underside of the frittata to ensure it is not browning too quickly.’
- ‘Egg-based dishes such as omelettes or frittatas which include cooked vegetables can be prepared quickly and make a wholesome entrée.’
- ‘You can make deviled eggs for appetizers, spike them in eggnog or make quiches, frittatas, omelets or other brunch-type party fare.’
- ‘The good news is that Kate came over last night and I cooked a frittata and it turned out quite lovely.’
- ‘We've got three more wonderful ideas for you: a Mexican omelet wrap, a sausage and potato frittata and banana nut pancakes.’
- ‘Shake the pan if needed in order to release the frittata.’
- ‘Remove the frittata from the heat and sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top of the frittata.’
- ‘Or why not make a large frittata with eggs and ricotta, and spice it up with bacon and a herb such as basil, tarragon or chervil?’
- ‘This Italian flavored frittata is good served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on your mood.’
- ‘On the menu you'll find fresh pasta, panini, frittatas and both brunch and breakfast fare.’
- ‘Somewhere between a frittata and a souffle, this comforting, old-fashioned dish is perfect for dinner when you don't want to spend a lot of time shopping or cooking.’
Italian, from fritto, past participle of friggere ‘to fry’. Compare with fritter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.