One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A thin metal frame keeping the paper in position during printing on a hand press.
- 1.1US mass noun Fluid or adhesive paper used in painting or crafts to cover areas of a surface on which paint is not wanted.‘over these zones of colour, she applies frisket’as modifier ‘I don't use frisket film’
- ‘Next, I decided to try something new and have students block out the shapes that they had drawn with some frisket, which is masking film commonly used by airbrush artists.’
- ‘He has mastered a technique of successive washes using masking friskets and dry brush, making the fish come to life on paper.’
- ‘Remember that any application of frisket must be painted over before a batik-like effect is visible.’
- ‘They particularly loved the shadow-box assignment and working with the frisket.’
- ‘To the best of my knowledge, all liquid masking fluids or liquid friskets are made from liquid latex.’
- 1.1US mass noun Fluid or adhesive paper used in painting or crafts to cover areas of a surface on which paint is not wanted.
Late 17th century: from French frisquette, from Provençal frisqueto, from Spanish frasqueta.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.