Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A coral reef that lies close to the shore.
shoal, bar, sandbar, sandbank, spitView synonyms
- ‘The swell has picked up, and as we skirt the seaward, western shore of the islands, surf is breaking upon the fringing reefs.’
- ‘It is normal to find oneself charging along effortlessly past a fringing reef, always watchful for any up-current that might force you into the shallows or, worse, leave you marooned on the reef top.’
- ‘Yet as long as there are captains fond of rum, sharp fringing reefs and a shortage of lighthouses, there will be wrecks, and the Maldives has its share.’
- ‘The flow continued across the bay, destroying fringing reefs before rolling down into the depths, creating this unique dive site.’
- ‘Coral atolls consist of several small islets within a fringing reef, arranged around a central lagoon.’
- ‘There are many islets with fringing reefs and also extensive patch reef systems inside the lagoon.’
- ‘The reef front of a fringing reef around an island actively grows at the same time the island is sinking.’
- ‘On the final day of their safari, the divers will visit the fringing reefs of Marsa Alam.’
- ‘At the fringing reef of the neighboring island, Uripiv, we spotted two individuals during a snorkel trip.’
- ‘If this sounds rather bleak, it is, but Bonaire has become very popular as a leisure-diving destination because it has a magnificent fringing reef along its whole leeside.’
- ‘Everyone knows about the Great Barrier Reef but we have Ningaloo Reef, which is the biggest fringing reef in the world.’
- ‘Boats can be hired for passage to outer islands and fringing reefs.’
- ‘The gorge cliffs display a classic section of limestone sediments that include the remains of a fringing reef.’
- ‘It's a very small bay with a fringing reef and the rest of the island, apart from a few odd spots, is just extremely high cliffs.’
- ‘Sipadan has fringing reefs and a coral wall which drops thousands of feet, while peninsular Malaysia's islands have reefs and rock outcrops plus some deep wrecks for technical divers.’
- ‘A few strokes out from the shoreline and you're on the fringing reef.’
- ‘The fringing reef around Hayes Island follows around a northern outcrop of the island.’
- ‘Kick gently across a gorgeous, shallow fringing reef, and then watch it plunge away in a sheer cliff prowled by a constellation of fish.’
- ‘Reefs are generally divided into three categories; the barrier reef, the atoll, and the fringing reef.’
- ‘Coral strength and growth has been visibly affected, and currently there seems to be rather little chance for a recovery, with over 200 divers a day touring the limited number of fringing reefs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.