One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elongated deep-sea shark with prominent gill covers that give the appearance of a frill around the neck.
Chlamydoselachus anguineus, the only member of the family Clamydoselachidae
- ‘Frilled sharks and cow sharks have one dorsal fin; all other sharks have two dorsal fins.’
- ‘Marine park staff caught the 1.6 metre long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a ‘living fossil’ because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times.’
- ‘Because frilled sharks live on the ocean floor, they may also feed on carrion floating down from the surface.’
- ‘Among the most talked about sharks are great white sharks, frilled sharks, tiger sharks, whale sharks, hammerhead sharks, goblin sharks, bull sharks.’
- ‘The shark's mouth is usually on the underside with the exception of the whale shark, Megamouth shark, frilled sharks and some carpet sharks.’
- ‘Frilled sharks are so different from the others in this group that they may be even more isolated on the shark family tree.’
- ‘Readers will pick up Nouvian's book for its stunning, 200-plus full-page color photographs of dumbo octopuses, frilled sharks, and hydrothermal vent worms; they will hang on to it for the well-written, extremely informative text.’
- ‘We have blue sharks, shortfin makos, and blackmouth dogfishes; thresher sharks, starry smoothhounds and porbeagles; frilled sharks, bramble sharks and sharpnose sevengills.’
- ‘Believed to have changed little since prehistoric times, the frilled shark is linked to long-extinct species by its slinky shape and by an upper jaw that is part of its skull.’
- ‘In late January, a frilled shark was caught and in early February, a goblin shark was captured.’
- ‘While not matching the description exactly, it probably is a close relative and suggests there may be some giant frilled sharks in the sea that could be taken for sea serpents.’
- ‘The video shows the frilled shark swimming through the water with its mouth open.’
- ‘The frilled shark is a living fossil and is usually found at depths of around 2,000 feet.’
- ‘Female frilled sharks also have the dubious distinction of having one of the longest known gestation periods, thought to be up to two years.’
- ‘The staff of a Japanese aquarium took pictures of a rare frilled shark on Sunday, after it was discovered by local residents at Awashima Port, southwest of Tokyo.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the frilled shark discovered in Japan didn't survive more than a couple of hours.’
- ‘The body length ranges from 77 inches for frilled sharks to 16.5 feet for a species of six-gill shark.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.