Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cold room in an ancient Roman bath.
- ‘Preliminary analysis suggests the frigidarium remained in use until its roof collapsed on a hapless bather.’
- ‘The first room entered is the frigidarium, or cold room, referring to the cold plunge bath housed here.’
- ‘Finally they would take a quick dip in the cold bath, the frigidarium.’
- ‘After this, the visitor would return to the tepidarium and then to frigidarium to cool down.’
- ‘In the bathhouse's second phase the frigidarium was annexed to the church and was turned into a baptistery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.