One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as submodifier Very (used for emphasis)‘it was frightfully hot’‘I'm frightfully sorry’
very, extremely, exceedingly, exceptionally, especially, tremendously, immensely, vastly, hugelyView synonyms
- ‘The number of people who decided whether or not our song would be played was frightfully small.’
- ‘They're pretty funny, and frightfully accurate… they also seem a little mean-spirited.’
- ‘My muscles are still frightfully sore, but they are looser then yesterday.’
- ‘Because we're frightfully busy here at the office, all I can give you now is reassurance that the lady and I are okay, a little bruised and sore, but okay.’
- ‘Everyone thought that was frightfully romantic!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.