Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being friendly; affability.‘I was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people here’
affability, amiability, geniality, congeniality, cordiality, good nature, good humour, warmth, affection, affectionateness, demonstrativeness, conviviality, joviality, companionability, companionableness, sociability, gregariousness, clubbability, comradeship, neighbourliness, hospitableness, approachability, accessibility, easy-going manner, communicativeness, openness, lack of reservation, lack of inhibition, good-naturedness, kindness, kindliness, sympathy, amenability, benevolencebonhomiechumminess, palliness, clubbinessmateyness, decencyView synonyms
- ‘I catch buses quite frequently and appreciate the courtesy and friendliness of most of the drivers.’
- ‘That act of kindness and the lady's friendliness and genuine concern that we had had a good day in Bury, warmed our hearts.’
- ‘What makes this place distinct is the spirit of community, the friendliness, the helpfulness.’
- ‘He somehow always manages to infuse it with warmth and friendliness and humor.’
- ‘You'll probably find them listening and responding with unexpected warmth and friendliness.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.