Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- past and past participle of fry
1(of food) cooked in hot fat or oil.‘a breakfast of fried eggs and bacon’
- ‘If you want a taste of what the authentic northern dishes are like, try baked bean curd with shrimp roe or the fried vegetables with egg.’
- ‘The catchy name was coined when cooks quieted begging dogs by throwing them scraps of fried dough while dinner was prepared.’
- ‘Years of Southern sausage biscuits, fried foods and gravy had done their damage.’
- ‘And steer clear of refined sugars, white flour and fried foods, or at least cut down on them.’
- ‘Avoid foods with a lot of sugar and fat, such as ice cream, gelatin, pudding and fried foods.’
- ‘She knew her typical meals of cheese sticks or fried foods needed to change to get the figure she wanted.’
- ‘Spicy Thailand fare was spread on the table with steamy sesame rice, hotspurs and fried beef in oyster sauce.’
- ‘Stay away from fatty foods, fried foods and any junk foods during this time.’
- ‘After a lunch of fried rice with eggs and peppers, we struck out to meet our elephant transport to another area of the jungle.’
- ‘Foods high in trans fats include fried foods, cookies, doughnuts and crackers.’
- ‘Some alternate breakfast foods include boiled manioc, maize porridge, or fried cakes made of rice flour.’
- ‘These fats are found in red meat, full-fat dairy products and fried foods.’
- ‘Health-conscious people were replacing the fried foods in their diet with cereals.’
- ‘We also ate a lot of mysterious crumbed meats accompanied with fried potatoes.’
- ‘Well, that should give you an idea of the efficiency and appearance of your arteries after a steady diet of fried foods.’
- ‘Bake the meat roll in the oven with the tomato juice and the fried butter, after adding some water.’
- ‘People in the south of India like spicy fried food and often eat rice and curry.’
- ‘They were simple dishes of fried rice, meat buns, steamed vegetables with beef, and freshly cooked fish.’
- ‘This is a common ingredient in commercial baked goods and in fried foods like French fries.’
- ‘I cut out high-fat fried foods and red meat from my diet and instead filled it with fruits and vegetables.’
2North American informal [predicative] Exhausted or worn out.‘I had just come from doing a shoot and I was really fried’
tired out, worn out, weary, dog-tired, bone-tired, bone-weary, ready to drop, on one's last legs, asleep on one's feet, drained, fatigued, enervated, debilitated, spentView synonyms
- ‘Who has not felt frazzled, fried, and finished at some point during his or her career?’
- 2.1Under the influence of alcohol or drugs.‘Ronnie broke out a bottle of Scotch—we all got pretty fried’
- ‘I went from high school quarterback to fried LSD guy in two years or whatever.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.