One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solution containing benzoin in alcohol, used chiefly as an inhalant.
- ‘In February clothes and boots were prepared, and at the end of the month the men congregated in the ports of departure, each man with his little bag of medicines - salves for cuts, friar's balsam for sprains and sulphate of zinc for ice-blindness.’
- ‘Put a few menthol crystals, drops of eucalyptus oil or friar's balsam into a bowl of steaming water.’
- ‘The compound tincture is highly potent, pharmaceutically used in friar's balsam and as a fixative in perfume.’
- ‘My doctor has suggested friar's balsam for my upper respiratory things too.’
- ‘It will go away naturally within a few weeks, but the process of healing can be accelerated by applying friar's balsam or an over the counter lotion to the affected area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.