One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solution containing benzoin in alcohol, used chiefly as an inhalant.
- ‘My doctor has suggested friar's balsam for my upper respiratory things too.’
- ‘Put a few menthol crystals, drops of eucalyptus oil or friar's balsam into a bowl of steaming water.’
- ‘It will go away naturally within a few weeks, but the process of healing can be accelerated by applying friar's balsam or an over the counter lotion to the affected area.’
- ‘The compound tincture is highly potent, pharmaceutically used in friar's balsam and as a fixative in perfume.’
- ‘In February clothes and boots were prepared, and at the end of the month the men congregated in the ports of departure, each man with his little bag of medicines - salves for cuts, friar's balsam for sprains and sulphate of zinc for ice-blindness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.