One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A French loaf.
- ‘It is also known in English as a French stick or a French loaf.’
- ‘He was buying bread, you see, crusty baguettes, French sticks, medium sliced wholemeal Hovis, chocolate donuts, pastries, that sort of thing.’
- ‘It's a thin, Italian equivalent of small French sticks, made with olive oil.’
- ‘I stood there guiltily, knowing I had deprived the rest of the ex-pat community of a great culinary moment to be shared with a lump of cheddar, pickled onion and a French stick.’
- ‘In addition to ‘specialty breads’, there are also ‘luxury breads’, such the French sticks.’
- ‘Before I knew it she was putting her French sticks in the backseat.’
- ‘I guess if I was to estimate what it cost to feed my four I would say around about £7.00, including a nice French stick.’
- ‘I'll stand in the kitchen in my underpants, covering my chest with crumbs, and you'll lean against my back, intermittently sipping on a glass of chilled water and nibbling at French stick.’
- ‘Spread plenty of the garlic butter into each cut slice of bread and then wrap the whole French stick in kitchen foil.’
- ‘Who can resist freshly spread hot buns and or a lightly buttered French stick?’
- ‘Slice a French stick and spread each side liberally with the flavoured butter.’
- ‘Cut the baguette or French stick in half.’
- ‘You pay twice the price for a French stick that is delivered to them by the same suppliers as your local shop!’
- ‘Slice the French stick into slices.’
- ‘It will produce long and round rolls, French sticks and tin bread effortlessly and consistently.’
- ‘A man dismounted his motorbike and went inside to purchase an armful of French sticks which he tied to the luggage rack.’
- ‘Using your machine or mixer you can turn out delicious rolls, French sticks and pizza.’
- ‘Shave the light brown crust from the outside of the French stick with a bread knife and discard it.’
- ‘For baking French sticks or loaves, an optional steam generator can provide sufficient steam as the French sticks are being loaded to produce the necessary crust formation.’
- ‘There are the two-feet long French sticks to tackle for around 70 baht.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.