One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's hairstyle in which the hair is tucked into a vertical roll down the back of the head.
- ‘Her lips were full and red and her raven hair was pulled up in a French roll of sorts.’
- ‘He started with a small, tight French roll in the back of the head, leaving most of the locks loose in front and on the sides.’
- ‘We went inside to the front desk on level 1, and were told to wait on a sofa by the reception-desk girl with hair fastened into a fascinating French roll.’
- ‘Impulsively she released the French roll and shook her hair out.’
- ‘He frowned at Alex's French roll, hoping to give her the hint, wishing he could unwind it and see it wavy and wild the way it had been on Sunday evening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.