One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loaf of French bread.
- ‘Instead of the light, crispy French loaf that should have slid gently onto the cooling rack a sullen, sunken brick-like object thunked out, stolid and sulking.’
- ‘This chewy cheese bread can be baked either in a standard loaf pan or as a long French loaf to be served warm for dinner.’
- ‘All of those good French loaves turn into some agreeable bread pudding served with a frothy little sauce - in a portion suitable for giants.’
- ‘In the diagram below, the lines in black represent the pieces of the French loaf that are left behind.’
- ‘Cut the French loaves into thick slices, leaving the slices attached along the base of the loaves.’
- ‘Just before the French loaves are loaded into the oven they are washed with corn starch wash or egg wash and cut or docked.’
- ‘But you can eat cheaply by buying French loaves and fruits from the roadside.’
- ‘Old French loaves, hard as cricket bats, are excellent for the purpose, though raisin-nut bread is a bonus if some happens to come along.’
- ‘Stale French loaves are all we students can afford more or less under this oppressive regime.’
- ‘Spread this mixture, generously or thinly, according to taste, onto sour French loaves cut in half lengthwise.’
- ‘Freshly baked French loaves are sold in the market side by side.’
- ‘Two or three people are in the bakery 7 days a week creating French loaves flavored with dried fruits, nuts, spices, and/or chocolate.’
- ‘Our Country French loaf is slightly more dense than our other French loaves and is one of our more popular retail breads.’
- ‘The standout loaf at Omega is the white Italian, but admirers of crusty breads also should try the mild sourdough, the French country and, for a truly chewy crumb, the rustic French loaves.’
- ‘David offers her own interpretation, but be sure to also check out her entire chapter of notes on the design of French loaves.’
- ‘For lunch I buy a fresh French loaf and some Serrano ham.’
- ‘He makes those beautiful big French loaves, and croissants and everything else; it's quite different from pastry because it's yeast rising.’
- ‘Why am I, here in the middle of my life, so enamoured of French loaves?’
- ‘You can have marinated chicken and spiced mayo in a French loaf or grilled aubergine with mozzarella in multi-grain bread.’
- ‘The 1,000 gram loaves were very typical of the three stage French loaves I've made in the past, tasty, but rather heavy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.