One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small southern African plant with fragrant, colourful, tubular flowers, many varieties of which are cultivated for the cut-flower trade.
Genus Freesia, family Iridaceae
- ‘I stomp outside, closing my eyes and breathing in the fresh air, scented with freesia and wisteria and hyacinths.’
- ‘The sugar content and dry weight of opening freesia florets was dramatically reduced when stems were reduced in length, indicating that the stem was a major source of carbohydrate.’
- ‘But all I can do is bring freesias, your favourites, and lay them down where your head would be, and whisper, ‘Sorry.’’
- ‘Hidden in the back of the book under some grab-bag category like ‘exotics’ are freesia, sparaxis, watsonia, babiana, and the rest of the Cape bulbs (named after a former province of South Africa).’
- ‘I still love the fresh scent: a mix of notes of freesia, marigold and white lily.’
- ‘Make sure freesias are planted in well drained soil.’
- ‘I was surprised to discover that a large colony of wild freesias had established itself along the dunes at the entrance of the beach, and I spent some time among them, smelling and photographing.’
- ‘Add this to the wild freesias bursting into bloom among the sandhills and I have confirmation that the circle of life is unending and that the seeds of hope burst into life when the time and conditions are right.’
- ‘The hints of rosemary, freesia, and Hawaiian wedding flower fill your mind with thoughts of a warm, sunny garden.’
- ‘There is a wide variety to choose from, among which are freesias, ixias, sparaxis, lachenalia and Dutch Iris.’
- ‘She handed me my bouquet of calla lilies, freesias, and irises.’
- ‘Other local favorites for fall planting include freesias, Anemone coronaria, and rununculus.’
- ‘A typical posy bouquet includes roses, double-headed white freesias, foliage, and subtly coloured South African nuts and berries.’
- ‘The bride wore a full length fitted gown of white silk trimmed with white fur and carried a bouquet of white roses and freesia.’
- ‘The ultimate natural, romantic fragrance blends fruits like guava, papaya, passion fruit, and citrus, with a flowery bouquet of jasmine, freesia and marigold.’
- ‘Guernsey is world famous for its top quality freesias which are produced all year round to supply your favourite flowers when you want them.’
- ‘Even the smallest bunch of freesias bought with carefully hoarded pocket money can provoke tears or pride and delight.’
- ‘I live in coastal Connecticut and have grown freesias a couple of times.’
- ‘She carried a teardrop shower bouquet of ivory roses and carnations, with lilac freesias and trailing ivy.’
- ‘The following year I had beautiful ‘mystery flowers’, which turned out to be freesia.’
Modern Latin, named after Friedrich H. T. Freese (died 1876), German physician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.