One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An emancipated slave.
- ‘But of all the changes wrought by the war, none was greater than the transition of former slaves to freedmen.’
- ‘Meanwhile, he was openly disparaging of Jews, and an unapologetic racist with respect to the slaves and freedmen he encountered.’
- ‘Similarly, some of the richest residents of Rome were imperial freedmen, former slaves of the emperor, who despite their wealth had a lower social status than less wealthy men from old Senatorial families.’
- ‘Spreading through the plantation system, Protestant Christianity was adopted and adapted by African-American slaves and freedmen and most of their descendants.’
- ‘Roman society was acutely aware of its own paradoxes: the freedmen and slaves who served the emperors became figures of exceptional power and influence to whom even the grandees had to pay court.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.