One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1historical A state of the US in which slavery did not exist.
- ‘They gathered to press for the admission of Kansas to the Union as a free state and end the extension of slavery.’
- ‘Of those, ninety-six existed in slave states, whereas free states contained only fifteen.’
- ‘Those blacks born in free states before 1865 were themselves typically no more than two generations removed from slavery, and very often less.’
- ‘Zachary Taylor was president then, and despite being a southerner, supported the admission of California as a free state and the rest of the Mexican Cession territory won in the Mexican War.’
- ‘They found that, despite California being formed as a free state in 1850, slavery existed in some form.’
- 1.1informal a name for Maryland
2A province in central South Africa, situated to the north of the Orange River; capital, Bloemfontein.Formerly called (until 1995) Orange Free State
- ‘The SA Weather Service said on Monday a light dusting of snow had fallen on Ficksburg in the Free State.’
- ‘They lived in the Karoo and southern Orange Free State.’
- ‘The Northern Cape and Free State have also enacted legislation to deal with the observation of health standards at initiation schools.’
- ‘Superintendent Louis Jacobs, police spokesperson, said the suspects crossed over the Vaal River into the Free State early on Sunday morning.’
- ‘Sales will be confined to the Southern Transvaal and Orange Free State.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.