One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A defensive back who is usually free from an assignment to cover a particular player on the opposing team.
- ‘He has played everything from strong safety to free safety to nickel linebacker to nickel corner.’
- ‘I always tried to be in a place where the quarterback didn't expect to find a free safety.’
- ‘Great passer, good shooter and plays defense like a free safety, waiting to pick off long passes.’
- ‘He is listed as a strong safety but also lines up at linebacker, cornerback, free safety and at the line of scrimmage.’
- ‘He has the range teams crave in a free safety, and he's a sure tackler.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.