One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A defensive back who is usually free from an assignment to cover a particular player on the opposing team.
- ‘I always tried to be in a place where the quarterback didn't expect to find a free safety.’
- ‘He has played everything from strong safety to free safety to nickel linebacker to nickel corner.’
- ‘Great passer, good shooter and plays defense like a free safety, waiting to pick off long passes.’
- ‘He has the range teams crave in a free safety, and he's a sure tackler.’
- ‘He is listed as a strong safety but also lines up at linebacker, cornerback, free safety and at the line of scrimmage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.