One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pub not controlled by a brewery and therefore not restricted to selling particular brands of beer or spirits.
- ‘We hope these will be taken in by various free houses to be sold on with £1 per pint going to the charity.’
- ‘There has been a slight rise in the number of free houses offering such promotions, from 14% to 21%.’
- ‘Now firmly installed in the popular free house, the pair have turned their attention to stocking up with quality beers from at home and further afield.’
- ‘I mean, it is a free house, but it's really out of the way.’
- ‘We're a traditional free house catering mainly for walkers, cyclists and people from nearby campsites - and without this visiting trade, we couldn't survive,’ he says.’
- ‘The Village Inn, as we will have to get used to calling it, is a free house, and Adrian serves a rotating guest beer alongside house favourites.’
- ‘It may come as a surprise to him that pub numbers are down by 12 per cent since 20 years ago, and even free houses have closed in their thousands.’
- ‘The ale has made an impressive debut in free houses from the Yorkshire Dales to Silsden.’
- ‘Suppose that a brewery wants to turn a free house into a tied house.’
- ‘Present owner of The Swan Inn, Mike Dunford, said he was pleased that the pub would remain a free house, selling a variety of real ale, rather than being swallowed up by one of the big pub operators.’
- ‘It produces over 2,000 pints of beer every week for free house pubs as far away as Cheshire and Nottingham, as well as in Yorkshire.’
- ‘He has built a chain of pubs, all along free house principles.’
- ‘By contrast, the average price of lager at the six free houses we surveyed was £2.40, which appears to buck the trend in the guide.’
- ‘Now the free house has been awarded the title of Gloucestershire's Pub of the Year by the Campaign for Real Ale, beating 900 pubs across the county.’
- ‘The pair said they were partly attracted to the pub, which has a 50-seat restaurant, because it was a free house, allowing them to serve a selection of real ales.’
- ‘Already, the ale has made an impressive debut in free houses across the Dales and beyond - encompassing an area taking in Starbotton, across to Elslack and down to Silsden.’
- ‘It's still early days, but we're hoping it will be available in as many free houses as possible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.