One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An economic system in which private business operates in competition and largely free of state control.
- ‘It is crucial to understand that the corruption of our banking system has nothing to do with capitalism or free enterprise at all.’
- ‘It came across as a victory of state control over private free enterprise.’
- ‘Indeed, questions of the relationships between liberalism and free enterprise or capitalism have long been debated.’
- ‘The business community is based on competition and free enterprise.’
- ‘Protecting the emergence of private markets and free enterprise would be far more beneficial.’
- ‘The bottom line of business in a free enterprise system is money.’
- ‘Such intervention has uncomfortably co-existed with notions of free enterprise and market efficiency.’
- ‘He believes in planning rather than the spontaneous order of markets and free enterprise.’
- ‘He poses as the heroic defender of free enterprise besieged by ‘red’ judges and communist apparatchiks.’
- ‘The idea of free enterprise is that everyone gets a chance, and no single industry or group of producers enjoys special privileges.’
- ‘That's known in some circles as free enterprise or capitalism.’
- ‘Nor can supporters of the free market dismiss these enduring economic problems, and blame them on a lack of free enterprise.’
- ‘The truth is that dramatic as they may be, rail crashes rarely shed light on the true nature of the industry, far less on debate between free enterprise and state control.’
- ‘Some form of free enterprise capitalist economy and some form of pluralist democracy were clearly called for.’
- ‘What remained of the guild system was swept away in the name of free enterprise and repressive legislation choked the beginnings of the trade union movement.’
- ‘And in the absence of government control of either floor or ceiling prices we have price competition or free enterprise.’
- ‘They've managed to do it by bumbling their way through a free enterprise system they haven't fully grasped.’
- ‘Critics of free enterprise have set their sights on business schools, blaming them for recent corporate scandals.’
- ‘And this government policy-making is exactly the reverse of free enterprise.’
- ‘Did they want socialism and nationalisation or did they prefer capitalism and free enterprise?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.