Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thermodynamic quantity equivalent to the capacity of a system to do work.See also Gibbs free energy
- ‘The notable decrease in free energy from trimer to tetramer suggested that the aggregation process was cooperative.’
- ‘Therefore, a thermodynamic analysis of denaturation free energy change can be used.’
- ‘The origin of the cell voltage is then the difference in free energy between Li + ions in the crystal structures of the two electrode materials.’
- ‘The thesis was on thermodynamic potential in physics and chemistry and in it he defined the criterion for chemical reactions in terms of free energy.’
- ‘Thus the calculated electrostatic free energy corresponds to the work required to push the test ion into the channel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.