Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A prefixed title given to an Italian monk or friar.‘Fra Angelico’
- ‘The museum dedicated to Fra Angelico was opened in the 1920's with the help of various financial sources.’
- ‘With its tender, intimate mood, the subject was disseminated and promoted by the preaching orders such as the Dominicans, to which Fra Angelico belonged, as well as the Augustinians and Franciscans.’
- ‘In Fra Angelico's convent of San Marco at Florence there are several choir books with breathtaking illuminations from his hand, like some others in San Domenico at Fiesole on which he worked with incredible diligence.’
- ‘The same effect is used in others of Fra Giovanni's panels.’
- ‘The paintings of Fra Carnevale include striking examples of architectural fantasy and expertly calculated mathematical perspective.’
Italian, abbreviation of frate brother, from Latin frater.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.