One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prefixed title given to an Italian monk or friar.‘Fra Angelico’
- ‘With its tender, intimate mood, the subject was disseminated and promoted by the preaching orders such as the Dominicans, to which Fra Angelico belonged, as well as the Augustinians and Franciscans.’
- ‘In Fra Angelico's convent of San Marco at Florence there are several choir books with breathtaking illuminations from his hand, like some others in San Domenico at Fiesole on which he worked with incredible diligence.’
- ‘The same effect is used in others of Fra Giovanni's panels.’
- ‘The museum dedicated to Fra Angelico was opened in the 1920's with the help of various financial sources.’
- ‘The paintings of Fra Carnevale include striking examples of architectural fantasy and expertly calculated mathematical perspective.’
Italian, abbreviation of frate ‘brother’, from Latin frater.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.