Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A common meadow grass that has soft brush-like flowering spikes.
- ‘Surveys taken after winter wheat harvest in west central and southwest Nebraska usually show barnyardgrass and green foxtail as the leading summer annual grasses infesting winter wheat fields.’
- ‘Weeds can be dangerous, especially foxtail grasses with barbed seed heads, which dogs can accidentally inhale with serious consequences.’
- ‘Predominant weed species in 1999 were velvetleaf, common waterhemp and green foxtail.’
- ‘The most common cool-season grasses are orchard grass, smooth brome, meadow brome and creeping foxtail.’
- ‘I know of one person whose dog had some severe problems caused by foxtail embedding itself in his ear.’
- ‘Over the years, he has seen his weeds change from tough, hard to manage weeds, such as quack grass or thistle, to less noxious weeds that are easier to control, such as foxtail and common ragweed.’
- ‘Dogs seem to suffer most with these small seedpods because the foxtails become imbedded in their coats.’
- ‘The foxtails and other tall grasses swayed around and above me, their fragrance filled my senses.’
- ‘The hairlike bristles sticking out all over the inflorescence are typical of foxtail grasses.’
- ‘Many prevalent weed species - such as foxtail and summer annual grasses - thrive in hard compacted soils that are often also low in calcium and high in magnesium.’
- ‘If foxtail grows in your yard mow the grass often, especially in late spring when the plant grows most rapidly.’
- ‘To localize genes of interest we have used common markers among foxtail millet, maize, and rice genomes.’
- ‘Whereas his fields used to sprout hemp dogbane and wirestem mully, now the troublemakers are mainly foxtail and pigweed, with buttonweed showing up some years, and some horseweed in the small grain.’
- ‘Giant foxtail and waterhemp often increases in population in no-till during the first several years, but effective control will eventually reduce the foxtail population, due to a lack of seed return to the soil surface.’
- ‘That way, shallow rooted weeds like foxtail and bluegrass will be unable to grow until the alfalfa has a head start.’
- ‘It is for control of black nightshade, kochia, lambs-quarters, pigweed, waterhemp, foxtail, and crabgrass.’
- ‘The life cycle of these winter annual weeds differs from summer annuals like foxtail and velvet leaf which typically germinate and produce seed within the growing season.’
- ‘Back in January, I moved from the California Wine Country to Charleston, South Carolina, trading my 47 acres of ticks and foxtails for a 152 year-old Victorian House with vintage termites.’
- ‘Dock, foxtail, jimsonweed, johnsongrass, morning glory, wild nightshades and ragweed indicate a soil low in calcium and phosphorus.’
- ‘Species found in the meadows include great burnet, meadow foxtail, red fescue, meadow saffron, narrow-leaved water-dropwort, mousetail, and the unusual small-flowered winter-cress on bare banks of the Severn.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.