One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A terrier of a short-haired or wire-haired breed originally used for unearthing foxes.
- ‘My dog had been trimmed and was battered looking, being a fox terrier it is possible that he was used as a fighting dog.’
- ‘My parents' dog is a wire-haired fox terrier about eight years old.’
- ‘According to my vet, South Africans' favourite dogs are the everyday brak, the Labrador, Maltese poodle, Alsatian, Staffie, fox terrier, Rottweiler, Jack Russell, ridgeback and the boxer.’
- ‘Alexandra is a fox terrier and needs special grooming for her coat, so I take her to the farmers' market on the King's Road, which is the best place.’
- ‘Terriers generally are happy, buoyant, and stubborn, and the fox terriers fit that bill quite well.’
- ‘He was judged against a flat-coated retriever, a giant schnauzer, an Old English sheepdog, a wire fox terrier, a saluki hound and Pekingese toy dog.’
- ‘Anyway they showed up in the filthiest old truck you've ever seen; peeling paint, balding tyres and a yapping fox terrier in the front.’
- ‘Three newly-recognized AKC breeds competing for the first time are the Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, German pinscher, and toy fox terrier.’
- ‘Every morning he walks his fox terriers, Ruby and Albert, in Battersea Park.’
- ‘She also likes running and mountain biking and has a fox terrier named Daisy.’
- ‘On one occasion, a woman had her underclothes stolen by a fox terrier.’
- ‘There are two types of fox terrier, smooth haired and wire haired.’
- ‘There was nothing spectacular about the place where she'd been living, a condominium in west Los Angeles that she shared with her wire fox terrier, Jiggs.’
- ‘This woman bought a dog in Mexico, and they told her it was a Chihuahua, but when she brought it home, she discovered that in reality it was a wire-haired fox terrier!’
- ‘She noted that on one site where remains of five dogs were found, three were ‘short-nosed, about fox terrier size’ - ideal for chasing rats out of their holes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.