Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A terrier of a short-haired or wire-haired breed originally used for unearthing foxes.
- ‘This woman bought a dog in Mexico, and they told her it was a Chihuahua, but when she brought it home, she discovered that in reality it was a wire-haired fox terrier!’
- ‘My parents' dog is a wire-haired fox terrier about eight years old.’
- ‘Anyway they showed up in the filthiest old truck you've ever seen; peeling paint, balding tyres and a yapping fox terrier in the front.’
- ‘There are two types of fox terrier, smooth haired and wire haired.’
- ‘Terriers generally are happy, buoyant, and stubborn, and the fox terriers fit that bill quite well.’
- ‘On one occasion, a woman had her underclothes stolen by a fox terrier.’
- ‘There was nothing spectacular about the place where she'd been living, a condominium in west Los Angeles that she shared with her wire fox terrier, Jiggs.’
- ‘My dog had been trimmed and was battered looking, being a fox terrier it is possible that he was used as a fighting dog.’
- ‘She also likes running and mountain biking and has a fox terrier named Daisy.’
- ‘Three newly-recognized AKC breeds competing for the first time are the Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, German pinscher, and toy fox terrier.’
- ‘Alexandra is a fox terrier and needs special grooming for her coat, so I take her to the farmers' market on the King's Road, which is the best place.’
- ‘Every morning he walks his fox terriers, Ruby and Albert, in Battersea Park.’
- ‘She noted that on one site where remains of five dogs were found, three were ‘short-nosed, about fox terrier size’ - ideal for chasing rats out of their holes.’
- ‘According to my vet, South Africans' favourite dogs are the everyday brak, the Labrador, Maltese poodle, Alsatian, Staffie, fox terrier, Rottweiler, Jack Russell, ridgeback and the boxer.’
- ‘He was judged against a flat-coated retriever, a giant schnauzer, an Old English sheepdog, a wire fox terrier, a saluki hound and Pekingese toy dog.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.