One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A race for four-oared rowing boats.‘they won the women's Senior Fours at Limerick Regatta’
- ‘Pinsent guided Britain to first place in the coxless fours at the Athens games yesterday morning to claim his fourth Olympic gold medal.’
- ‘Stallard, the Cambridge President in 2002, was a World Championship gold medal-winner in the coxed fours in 2002 and took a world silver medal in the same boat last year.’
2A competition for teams of four players, especially in bowls.
- ‘They will be finished this morning, along with the semi-finals of the fours.’
- ‘The teams joined for the fours competition and although tipped as the favourite, came in 5th from a very strong field.’
- ‘Meanwhile Derbyshire's Darren Allsop has became the youngest ever English fours champion (ie, playing in a team of four).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.