Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A poker hand of little value, having four cards of the same suit and one of another.
- ‘In this form of poker, there are two extra recognized hands in addition to the standard ones: four-straights and four-flushes, ranking between one pair and two pairs.’
- ‘Although it would be possible to flop a four-flush or flush, the hand would have little value unless you held the A of the suit.’
- ‘On the flop, the contest is often heads-up, and the four flush loses money on every additional bet to the pot.’
- ‘Danger arises when the four flush doesn't hit on the flop, but I pair my A, K or low kicker card.’
- ‘Always hold High Cards when you are dealt no pairs, four-flush or open-ended four straight - in other words, miscellaneous high cards.’
- ‘A four straight and a four flush both rank as hands.’
- ‘Mostly, online, I've just been hammering away with the big hands, and lying in wait with all those top-pairs, four-flushes, and OESDs.’
- ‘As a side note, were you the player with the four-flush in this situation, a call would be okay.’
- ‘This means that the odds are more than 4 to 1 against you when you draw one card to a four-flush.’
- ‘Even the best possible bluff - where the player holds an Ace or King, another card which matches the dealer's upcard, and a four-flush of the same suit as the dealer's upcard - is unfavorable.’
- ‘Just remember, a four-flush with A-K on the flop is a powerful hand that should be played aggressively.’
- ‘If we are known to check-raise all-in with a four-flush after the flop (as mentioned above), it will be right to check-raise all-in when we have a great hand too.’
- ‘Being dealt a pat flush before any cards are dealt and getting that flush after you're already holding a four-flush are two completely different things!’
- ‘If you have a four-flush after the flop, there are nine of your suit left in the deck, so you have nine outs.’
- ‘If you flop a four flush or an open-ended straight you can continue if the pot odds justify it, especially if you are drawing to the nuts.’
verb[NO OBJECT]North american
Keep up a pretence; bluff.‘your mother will get wise that you're four-flushing’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.